Friday, July 20, 2012

Using My Very Own Basil

I was watching Food Network. Ina Garten went out and picked her very own tomatoes and basil to make roasted tomatoes with pesto on top. Yum. Yum, yum, yum. That sounded pretty delicious to me!



Well, I didn't have my own tomatoes, but I did get some from the fruit and veg stand down the road. 


Even though the tomatoes were actually from Canada (who knew?), I could at least boast having my very own basil.


My mom set me up with a small herb garden a while back, and they have been flourishing (finally) in the greenhouse. This was my first harvest.


Sliced tomatoes, salted and drizzled with olive oil.


Part of a large Italian sweet basil leaf and a slice of fresh mozzarella.

Baked at 425 for 10 minutes.


I thought these would be especially delicious with tilapia, briefly marinated in lemon juice, salt, and garlic.



Cooked for a few minutes per side, allowing the lemon marinade to reduce.


The plating isn't my very best (fish juices/residue on the side), but it was ABSOLUTELY SCRUMPTIOUS!!!!



Paired with some roasted broccoli, mmmmmm. My favorite way to eat broccoli now.



A few shots of the pup, who was watching us eat, thrown in for cuteness.



And the husband, for good measure. 


This was before the shave.


And after.

1 comment:

  1. I can't tell you how much I love you guys. Actually, it helps me love my younger self more as I remember what I did as a young bride. I so cherish you.

    ReplyDelete