Monday, July 9, 2012

Weekly Update, and Cooking - Lots of Cooking

Weekly Update

Exercise: No exercising last week. Again...

Weight Loss: Same thing...

Victories/Struggles: I didn't binge, I didn't pay much attention. That about sums it up.

Last week was full of family, friends, the holiday, and food. So, having my house clean and all relationships intact is a win for me today. And I have a date to work out with a friend on Wednesday. That should help me get back into the swing of things, right?

AND I started my new job as a barista. For the fourth time in my life. So far I have worked 13 hours over 4 different days. Lots learned, lots to learn, and hopefully I won't lose tons of sleep to early morning shifts!

Something else that has taken up tons of my time lately is:

Lots and Lots of Cooking


I'm trying to make food in bulk that can be sectioned into portions and frozen, mostly for Kevin's lunches. And it doesn't hurt to have go-to meals when I'm in a pinch. Above is our favorite: slow cooker lentil soup. Always a delight.


BBQ salmon.


Red lentils, flavored with coconut milk and curry powder. Recipe here. (I used curry instead of the called-for turmeric.)


10 bean soup.


Whole wheat and corn flour bread.


Split pea soup, which I blended to a smooth finish.


Green bean casserole.


Hot quinoa tossed with steamed/chopped broccoli and roasted/chopped mushrooms and garlic.


Caramelizing onions.


Salmon again. This time with garlic, butter and lemon.


The finished onions. So tasty!

Other dishes to grace my kitchen lately: garlic red lentils (these are like mashed potatoes in texture, but are actually a legume!), corn cake, coconut curry and basil chicken, butterscotch sauce (ice cream topping), slow cooker salsa chicken, and I am making chicken stock with the leftover part of a rotisserie chicken right now!



So tell me: What recipes do you recommend for fun dinners?

4 comments:

  1. Where do you find all your recipes? your green been casserole looks AWESOME and not too creamy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, a lot of the recipes I make up myself! haha The green bean casserole is 3 cans of drained french cut green beans mixed right in the baking dish with one can of cream of chicken (or mushroom) soup and topped with french fried onions (probably 1.5 - 2 cups). Then I bake it in the oven for 40 minutes at 375. Pretty simple! :) Thank you for reading!! :)

      Delete
  2. hey nicole! i always enjoy looking through your blog. i noticed that you like salmon (or at least eat it) and I had to share this recipe! its so good - and i even leave out the extra olive oil (or go light on it) because i feel the pesto had enough. try it out if you get a chance and it looks good to ya! peace
    http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/home-cooking-skills/salmon-baked-in-a-foil-parcel-with-green-beans-and

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds delicious! I will have to give it a try!! :)

      Delete