Monday, June 11, 2012

Weekly Update and Flying Ants

Weekly Update


Exercise: Two 45-min pumps on the elliptical. Chasing after puppy? I'll go ahead and count it. 


Weight Loss: I will weigh in three weeks from now.


Victories/Struggles:

  • did not over eat at a Bon Voyage party over the weekend
  • went on 4-wheelers for the first time and didn't die!
  • kept my schedule to start going to the gym once moved
  • bought a new pair of jeans, size 14, one size down from what I've been at
  • caught up with our budget/planning
  • tracked my food all week/weekend
  • enjoyed delicious lemon cupcakes with raspberry filling and buttercream frosting made by one of my besties 
  • finally put up wedding pictures (six months after the wedding)
  • did crunches/sit-ups/modified push-ups at least three nights last week



So another week has gone by. Soon Kevin and I will have been here for two whole weeks! Almost everything in the apartment is done, just small details now. That is such a good feeling. Waking up to a bug crawling on my face is not such a good feeling.


I'm not kidding.




We thought it must be raining because we can always hear it on the skylight above our bed. When I opened the blinds to look outside, all I saw was sunshine and blue skies. Hmm. That's weird. Then all of a sudden I started noticing little black spots all over our bedspread. Where are these little critters coming from? We've been seeing (what I call) little black flying ants for the last several days in random places around the apartment, though they seem to be originating from the bedroom.


This is where I freaked out. Bugs crawling all over my bed. And face. And alarm clock. Kevin decided to check the skylight because we have a silver thing shoved up there to cover it so that the light won't come in fully and wake us up. All he had to do was pull one end down a bit and a whole bunch of those bugs came out. EEEWWWW!!!! I. WIGGED. OUT.


Then I told Kevin that as the man of the house, he was in charge of killing them. All. Dead. Now. 


We got MacDuff out of there, and I ran into the other room while Kevin inspected the situation. Towels laid out over the bed and bug killing spray all up in that skylight resulted in a lot of dead bugs polka dotting my linens. I am going to get Taro to entice those critters to take it home to their clan. Die, Bugs, die!


And that was the first 20 minutes of my dad.


Funnily enough, it put us all into a slightly amused mood. Add a little coffee, a three mile walk with my mom-in-law and neighbor, meeting adorable donkeys, and white cheddar popcorn and I've had a pretty good day so far! 


I'm starting to feel more and more settled. When Kevin and I were driving back from Oregon on Saturday night, I felt like we were on our way home. It wasn't quite the same feeling as before, but it will get there. One day at a time, right? 


It's an adjustment. And the little things really do help. Like taking time to pray together, read a verse or chapter of Scripture in the morning, taking time to just chat in the evenings instead of always having the TV on, taking time for myself to simply be and relax (not always working on the to-do list), playing with MacDuff, fashioning a watering "can" from an old Sobe Lifewater bottle for the window herb garden my mom got for me. 


I'm breathing. It helps. Change is hard. But I have to remember that worrying will never lessen my stress or add an hour to my life. Though I keep on trying... Hmm.


Random thought- I made up a vegetable soup last night without a recipe and it was really good. I'll have to share it with you all some time. 




So tell me: What helps you to breathe? Any funny stories lately?

1 comment:

  1. You know, I breathe friendships. And lives lived well. Another memorial service today. About 500 there. Why? Because of a life lived well . What a joy. That truly is my goal....to finish well. It is hard to let go. Of children, of houses, of loved ones,that die. But it is most important. To live my life today in a way that is joyful, respectful and is honorable to God. After today's service, I planted in the garden. I have four garden spots this year. And.....I will plant them. Just not all in one day. I love a garden. I love to care for a garden and then harvest what was tended. I planted almost as many flowers as vegetables. The keep down the bugs as they beautify the garden. Maybe you need to plant some flowers in your skylight.

    ReplyDelete