Saturday, June 30, 2012

My Dancing Sunflower

Somehow, I posted without actually posting anything. Hmm. I'm a winner! :)


The wife of one of Kevin's good friends, and a new friend of mine, gave me a house-warming present the week before last. She said she received one when she was first transplanted to Washington by her husband about 1.5 years ago. 


This is my Dancing Sunflower:



On the back of the pot, there is a little solar panel. Whenever there is ANY sunshine coming through onto that panel, my sunflower dances, reminding me that there is always sunshine somewhere, even if I can't see it. You see, even on overcast, cloudy days, some sun must come through, beåcause my sunflower dances, even if slowly.



As my lovely new friend pointed out, this can be a very needed reminder. She moved all the way from Texas, where there is much more sunshine. I only came from Oregon, where it's pretty much the same. But the reminder is still a wonderful one. Even if I don't miss sunny days that I once had ('cuz I never had them), I often miss comforts from my long-time home. 

The sunflower sits on my kitchen window, always a visual cue that I can dance on cloudy days and sunny days.

My herbs, recently transplanted to a greenhouse, unfortunately have had less dancing as of late. I'm hoping they make it. It's not looking too good.


So tell me: What reminds you to be joyful during cloudy times?


4 comments:

  1. YOU remind me. I miss you :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tara! :) I miss you, too! My Thursdays just aren't the same!

      Delete
  2. I often play praise songs. But sometimes it takes Latin rhythms to pick me up. Arriba!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to play Latin songs today because of your suggestion and realized I don't have any! Next time I'll have to make a Pandora station. Jazz does pretty well, too. :)

      Delete