Monday, June 25, 2012

Weekly Update, and Whole Wheat Baking

Weekly Update


Exercise: 60 min. elliptical; 30 min. elliptical


Weight: I didn't weigh this last week. Probably a good idea...


So last week.


It seemed to fly by. I had coffee with a new friend here in town, which was wonderful. It is so exciting and comforting to find some normalcy and familiarity - not to mention really good coffee. Grocery shopping, cooking, Kevin and I visited a church, cleaning, went to a woman's Bible study, laundry, first time having friends over for dinner, budgeting, pretty much the usual story. My eating was so-so. I tracked my calories maybe three days... maybe even less than that.


I'm in a slump. A funk, if you will. Not that surprising considering all the recent change in my life, but not any fun either. I think I am starting to have more good days than bad. That's an improvement, right?


I'm finally writing this at 9:30 at night, when I had hoped to have it posted at 10 this morning. So that may be part of why my tone is less than jovial. Nonetheless, my head is full of processing and recipes and shopping lists, so I will leave you with baked whole wheat goods as promised and come to you tomorrow when my brain is a little less frazzled and fuzzy:


Because I only had whole wheat flour on hand the day we had dinner guests, I had to improvise. All of a sudden, I really wanted some desserts for our friends! Flipping through my Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook revealed two promising recipes: Shortbread and yellow cake cupcakes. Even though I had not really used much whole wheat flour prior, I decided to experiment anyway. (And I made both chocolate and regular powdered-sugar-based icing to cover, just in case.)





The shortbread turned out to be quite delicious. The chocolate icing wasn't so bad either...


Then I used one-third of the yellow cake recipe (substituting whole wheat flour for all-purpose), and had just enough for my mini-muffin pan. Perfect! These were soft, moist, and quite tasty!




Together with the coconut basil curry chicken (same cookbook) and coconut curry red lentils (Pinterest), this meal was a hit!


So tell me: What good and healthy recipes are you feeding your favorite people?

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm. Guess I don't actually cook/bake a lot anymore. At camp with Kaleb??, we did hot dogs and the big hit was s'moores using the giant marshmellos. So, minimum chocolate and low fat Graham crackers made me feel somewhat better about this unhealthy traditional dessert for camp!!! One good meal I had at Seattle was at Zoo pa's. Even with choosing all low Carb low sugar vegetables I still had a great, filling salad and loved it. I was able to have four nearly perfect program days. (Pat Foutz served fresh homemade brownies that I smelled for 20 minutes while they were baking. Fixed ESP for us. I took one, still warm of course, and ate two bites. Then I wrapped it in my napkin and put it in my purse. I gave it to dad later. I felt good about my choice! Yesterday, at home was not perfect. Half of the day was. Today will be better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GREAT job not eating the whole brownie but still being polite!!! That is such a hard position to be in!!!

      Delete