Friday, May 4, 2012

50th Post!!!

As a way of celebrating my 50th post (wow!), I want to thank those of you who continue to read my words. It is beyond encouraging to get a note in some fashion expressing your interest in what I'm trying to do. (And I will always love more! Keep those comments coming!)


Interestingly enough, I wasn't really starting a "weight loss" blog. I knew that would come into play, obviously, but I didn't think it would be my main focus. In fact, I hadn't really thought about how much that truly is my main focus. It is what I continue to find time for despite everything else in my life. Health has never been so important to me.


When I read other's stories, when I hear words of encouragement, it is inspirational and I am so grateful. This is hard work we are doing. No matter your situation in life, no matter your current health status, this culture, this world we're in, does not promote health or discipline. The easier the better, right? WRONG.


One of my favorite blogs, CanYouStayForDinner.com, has been unknowingly expressing my thoughts on dieting and weight loss as of late. Well, all of her writing could fall into this category, but especially the last week or so.


Weight loss is hard.


Focusing on health is hard.


Anything requiring discipline is hard.


To quote Andie from Can You Stay For Dinner:


"[W]hen I browse magazines and bookshelves at Barnes and Noble, I naturally find myself drawn to the health sections. There, I see headings with words like easy, simple, and fast. Three words which weight loss will never be. I see meals plans that promise ‘no deprivation,’ ‘still indulge!,’ and ‘never feel hungry.’ I see promises and assurances about losing weight that only make me, someone who has lost half of herself, think:

It’s honestly none of those things. It’s never easy, simple, or fast. Deprivation, that resentful feeling of not being able to indulge, and hunger pangs- they exist. Not always, but yes, sometimes."


Read more here.


Remembering this truth reminds me to grit my teeth and push through the hard times.


The times when I really want chocolate. By the handful.


The times when I am overwhelmed and stressed.


The times when I'm bored.


The times when I'm sad or frustrated or joyful.


The times when it is REALLY FREAKIN' INCONVENIENT to eat well.


It also reminds me to be so utterly thankful for all the amazing people in my life, in person or not, who spur me on - encourage me to keep going. Whether by example or words, your support gives me the strength to keep at this battle. Well, you, God, and dried apricots. (Such a life saver when I'm craving something sweet and candy-ish. Well, it's not actually a Life Saver... Anyway...)


So, [not] in short,


Thank you!


Thank you!


THANK YOU!!!


If I could feesibly give a gift to each one of you, I totally would. Instead, I will keep giving you my words of wisdom. Ha. Wisdom, that's funny.


How about a picture of my really cute puppy, MacDuff?




And here is a link to a CD I recorded on for my friend, Nate. You can hear me on the tracks "Your Will", "I Want Jesus to Walk with Me", and "I'm Gonna Live So God Can Use Me". It was so much fun!


So tell me: What would you like to see me write about? Any topics you would like me to touch on more?

And, again, Thank you!!

1 comment:

  1. Nicole, I went to high school with Kevin, and I stumbled upon your blog a few months ago. I have LOVED reading your entries and it's been so encouraging to me as I have also been trying to eat healthier/exercise more/lose weight. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete