Thursday, May 17, 2012

Homemade Tortillas & Fajitas


Following the instructions on the Maseca bag, I mixed 1 cup of corn flour with 2/3 cup water and 1/8 tsp salt. I used a fork to mix this up until I needed to use my hands to really make it into a ball of dough.


After forming the dough, I split it into 8 smaller balls, covered by a dampened paper towel. (Keep the towel over the balls of dough as you shape each one to keep them from drying out.)



Using a cut Ziploc bag (stronger plastic), I placed each ball in between the two sheets of plastic on the tortilla press (Amazon.com - but could have stolen one from my mom's pantry - oops).


Press, peel, and look! A tortilla!



Kevin got so excited that he wanted to make the rest. Gotta love a man that wants to help out in the kitchen!



In an ungreased frying pan, cook the tortilla on medium-high heat, 50 seconds on each side.



Then, if you are crazy about kitchen goodies like me, put the finished tortilla in your tortilla warmer.


 

These babies are so much tastier than store bought corn tortillas, in my opinion. They're small, but SO yummy!



Here is our skirt accordian-style steak (much too big for this pan) marinating in my made-up mix: lime juice, minced garlic, cumin, and onion powder. Unfortunately, I didn't think to have this marinating earlier. The best option is at least 2 hours marinating in the fridge, even up to 6 or overnight.



As a side dish, Kevin sliced squash... and meticulously placed them on the baking pan in an awesomely OCD manner. That's my man.







Sprinkled with taco seasoing (from a packet), this was delish!







Sauteed onion and pepper (and two cloves freshly minced garlic) - perfect for our fajitas. (One yellow onion, two bell peppers, one Tbsp olive oil.)



Let the stacking begin.





I loaded my fajitas with 2 Tbsp each of low fat shredded mozzarella (40), 2 fat free sour cream (18), and freshly diced vine tomatoes (13); add to that 2 oz of thinly sliced skirt steak (124) and about 1/2 cup sauteed veggies (62) and Valentina hot sauce (0) to finish with a zing.



Together with 2.5 fresh tortillas (165) and 1 cup roasted squash (29), my meal came in at 451 calories. It was so yummy, so filling, and so healthy.



My kitchen came in as: messy and loaded with dirty dishes. Always a sign of a good meal!


So tell me: what homemade alternative do you use to store bought?

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm! I've started baking bread at home every week. That way I know what all goes into the bread we're eating, but more importantly, the house smells AWESOME while it's baking!! :)

    ReplyDelete