Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Bob & Jillian, Please Ruin My Life

I would LOVE to do a workout with Jillian Michaels and Bob Harper.

Seriously. No joke.

It would hurt. A lot. My pain would feel pain. My woefully underdevelped upper body would hate me for years.

BUT IT WOULD BE. SO. GOOD.

Whenever I watch The Biggest Loser, my favorite part is watching them in the gym. My sadistic nature loves watching Bob and Jillian literally sit on people trying to do push-ups and loving every minute of it. My masechistic nature thinks that kind of torture would be kind of awesome.

You see, I'm afraid of the gym. I face that fear every time I walk over to our apartment complex gym and get on the elliptical or treadmill. But just a little. I'm not using weights or machines. I'm not kicking a large body pillow (okay, that's what they look like to me). I'm doing what I feel comfortable with.



A good friend of mine offerred to take me to the gym and do a workout with her. It would hurt, too. In the good way. And I really want to! I'm not putting it off to postpone the pain or bolster my fear - this one is a scheduling issue. But when I do make it happen, you will hear about it.

When Bob and Jillian are raking contestants over the coals, they are bringing them to the brink. They are forcing them to sweat out emotional baggage and deal with it. They are holding their issues in their faces without mercy - and I can totally see the love in it. Tough love. A lot of us need it. People who let themselves get to be hundreds of pounds overweight need it. I need it.

What those people keep saying is, "I can't do it." I understand! I would say it, too! I totally don't believe that my body could do the workouts those contestants do. And yet they all weigh much more than me and are less fit (at least to start with)! Why do I still think I couldn't sweat it out like they do?

Just last week, I did intervals on the elliptical for 45 minutes. I turned on an old episode of The Biggest Loser, thanks to Netflix on my iPhone (I will never belittle technology), and I sweat it out. Those minutes have never gone by faster. Motivation, distraction, and endorphins. I loved that workout.

This doesn't show my intervals. But I did them, I tell you!

And I've been trying to add little bits of toning here and there. Shoulder presses while I do my figure-eights in my classroom. Crunches before bed. Walking just a bit faster. Hopping up to do something for Kevin or MacDuff instead of staying on the couch. Every little bit helps. (I actually wish I had one of those BodyBug monitors like the Biggest Loser contestants do to track just how many calories I burn in a day; that would be so cool.)

I don't think I could ever maintain fitness based on daily sweats at the gym. It isn't practical for my lifestyle. But a few times a week? Yeah, I could do that. Workouts at home? Going for walks? Hikes? Sure, that seems doable.

I mean, when I think about long-term, when I picture being home with babies someday - I need to picture how I can maintain my weight with all of that. I want to have the energy to run around with my kids, play with them, keep up my home. I want vitality.



This is really about a mindset. A willingness. Self-control. Willpower.

It is about belief.

Belief that my body can do things it's never done.

Belief that my hard work will pay off in the end.

Belief that I'm worth it (and high-priced shampoo, apparently).

And humility. To ask for help. From God, my husband, family, friends.

Humility to go into public, no matter my weight or the state of my workout duds, and doing what needs to be done. Setting an example for my nieces and nephews who look up to me and for my future kids.

Humility to lead by example in the face of fear.

Even fear of a rowing machine.


So tell me: What fear are you overcoming? What are you doing to exercise? How do you keep it fun and interesting?


5 comments:

  1. I am really similar when it comes to the gym. I've found that the more I've gone, the more comfortable I feel there. I don't care what anyone thinks and I get my workout done! BUT lately, going maybe once a week...tops... I feel insecure unless I have a friend or husband with me. :-p If I'm alone I typically think of an excuse to myself to get out of there fast. So, to answer your question, I meet up with friends to get a good work out in. It makes the time go faster and it's something I look forward to. I try to spend 30 minutes doing cardio of some sort and then another 30 lifting or doing the machines. Tara Newman also lives super close to me, so she walks her dog, I walk with my baby and we meet up. We tend to have so much to say that we walk for at least 1.5 hours. That makes a huge difference!
    Thanks for the post, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started doing ZUMBA 3 times a week. I LOVE IT!!! They turn the lights off and turn on disco lights. It's kind of like being at a dance club! With the lights off i don't feel as vulnerable or like everyone's eyes are on me. It's way more intense than i thought it would be. We do specific dance moves that work the WHOLE body. The day after my first Zumba class i was so sore! My abs, arms, calves, etc. It's an hour long, and ilke i said I'm doing it 3 times a week. I can already see the baby lbs. melting off! And i am getting toned and buff! Also i am not one that likes to exercise alone. I get bored. So i go with my girlfriend Shelby, and i am making so many more friends there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate going to the gym as well. I feel like I sweat more than anyone else and I turn bright red (thank you Scottish heritage!). I think part of me avoids going for those reasons as well as the fact that I don't know how to use anything there other than the treadmill and elliptical. I don't know how to use the strength training things so I just avoid them so I don't look like a dork trying to figure it out.
    I do notice that I can still feel healthy by doing workouts at home but I rarely get the cardio and if we ever move into a bigger place I want to buy our own treadmill so I can get sweaty in the comfort of my own home haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed going to the gym while I could afford it, but now, my money is spent elsewhere but I love to power walk, doing crunches but still cannot hit 100 at one time, and like stretching first! Yes! It feels soooo good to stretch and then exercise.

    I keep motivated by raising my heart rate, sweating it out and realizing I am doing my body and mind good. God said my body is a temple of His Holy Spirit. Oh my, I have surely not taken the best care of His temple. Last week, I decided, with the support and thoughts of all the women in the contest, that I would get serious, get committed and exercise my heart out 'til I reached a healthier state, lost several pounds and inches as well as felt better.

    I am using recipes and advice from two different books, exercising daily (actually a few times a day), drinking more water, sleeping longer (I actually hit 6 1/2 hours last night) and am proud of myself for making my health as important as anything else I have spent time on. :-)

    In regards to any fears I am overcoming, it would have to be not giving up when so many obligations overwhelm me. Mentally, I am tired and have so much on my plate. I look forward to exercising though. I think of every movement, as I inhale and exhale, that I am releasing stress, worry and anxiety. I am lay all these cares at the feet of Jesus and He lovingly looks down at me, places His gentle hands on each side of my face, lifts my head and smiles at me. From then on, nothing else matters....not the pain, sweat, feeling hot, tired or achy. I am doing it for Him, because He loves me and wants me healthy. Jesus wants me to feel good and be strong enough to handle anything that comes my way, both mentally and physically. When I am though exercising, I calmly fall into my pool and see myself falling into my sweet savior's arms.

    This, makes it all worth while.......

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, so proud of you, Nicole. You are such an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete