Monday, May 14, 2012

Weekly Update, and Pan Fried Tilapia

Weekly Update:

Exercise: 5 classroom walks, 45 on elliptical, 20 crunches, 50 crunches (x2), 100 crunches, 10 very sad modified push-ups

Weight Loss: Back to the waiting game.

Last week I started a Weight Loss Competition, told you about my struggles and triumphs, watched (and cried to) a lot of The Biggest Loser, and gained new vigor for my health goals - and, really - my health process. The journey is far more important than the destination. I would go so far as to say that the journey is the destination.

"Enjoy the process" is a phrase that is on my mind. You'll hear more about this, I'm sure.

For now, enjoy one of my favorite new dishes (husband approved!):

Pan Fried Tilapia


I have been using individually packaged tilapia fillets from freezer. Here we have three of those thawed (two are stacked). I weighed (ancient food weight - I need the digital one!) them before cooking them to determine which one would be mine (the 4oz fillet on the left that is 100 calories).

Then I dredged each fillet in the flour mixture, dusting off any excess, before placing (one at a time) them in about 1 tsp of olive oil in a medium-high frying pan.

The flour mixture is about 3 Tbsp of almond flour and about 2 Tbsp of an herb seasoning mixture (basil, parsley, oregano, thyme, sage, and rosemary).



After the each fillet has finished cooking (2-3 minutes each side), I slide them onto a cookie sheet, lined with a cut paper bag, in the oven - which is at about 250 degrees to keep the fillets warm. The paper keeps the fish from sticking to the pan and wicks out excess oil.

Here we have the ingredients (minus the oil) for the sauce to drizzle on top of the pan fried tilapia: 1 Tbsp each (per fillet) of butter (or Smart Balance, in my case), garlic, and lemon juice (I had to supplement with lime juice when the lemon ran out).

After making the sauce, I sauteed the mushrooms in the left over oil and juices as an addition to the plate. (Using the pre-measured left over cooking juices means no additional calories to the meal!)



The set-aside sauce. The "crud", or brown bits, have been picked up from cooking the fish and add great flavor.


The excess oil. So glad we didn't eat all of that!



And, the finished product. Delicious. Healthy. Perfect.

Total calories (4oz tilapia, including 1 cup spinach): 258
Weight Watchers Points Plus: 5


So tell me: What's cookin' in your kitchen?

2 comments:

  1. Awesome meal! Definitely approved.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, my push-ups are always very sad and modified as well. Heath didn't believe me at first when I said I couldn't do real ones and the modified ones I can barely do 10 (on a good day)! Just have no muscle in that area I guess!
    I set out tilapia to thaw for dinner tonight! I'm definitely pan frying it =)

    ReplyDelete