Friday, April 13, 2012

Hot Greek Salad & Baked Chips


Hot Greek Salad: Let me just say, YUM!!!

This recipe originally came from my E-mealz membership, but I adjusted it a little, so felt I could share!

For more on E-mealz, go here.

As a long-time dieter (okay, okay, lifestyle-changer, whatever, you get the point), ground turkey has become one of my staples. No, the flavor isn't always the best, especially if I use the 99% lean kind. But you get protein, bulk, and, well, meat for lower points than most other choices.

However, the hubs is not a huge fan of ground beef or turkey, especially the latter. So I've avoided using it for a while. Then I came across this recipe and decided to give it a try!

The turkey available at Safeway only came 93% lean. I was running short on time, so I went with it. Happy accident! The turkey had more flavor and only added a few calories per serving.

Here is what I used:

1.25 lb 93% lean ground turkey (the only size the package came in)

1/2 chopped red onion

1-2 tsp olive oil

1 Tbsp Greek seasoning

1/2 can Pinto beans (I used kidney beans, since that's what I had on hand)

1/2 can diced tomatoes

2 cups greens (I used baby spinach)

1/4 C feta cheese (per serving, added last)

10-15 kalamata olives, sliced in half (not in the original recipe)

3/4 carton grape tomatoes, sliced in half


Instructions:

1. Brown the turkey and onions in the oil on medium to medium-high heat until cooked through.
2. Stir in the beans and diced tomatoes; simmer on medium heat until bubbly.
3. Stir in Greek seasoning.

[Side note: If you do not have Greek seasoning, which I didn't, you can make your own with the following:
  • 1.5 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp dried mint (which I sadly didn't have)
  • 1 tsp dried thyme
  • 1/2 tsp dried basil
  • 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
  • 1/2 tsp onion flakes
  • 1/4 tsp garlic flakes
Mix all together and store for up to six months.]

4. Spoon hot mixture onto a bed of greens.
5. Add feta, olives, grape tomatoes.
6. Eat and enjoy!

To do again, I think I would add diced and peeled cucumber to complete the authenticity of the Greek salad. Also, I would like to try this with all the original ingredients - the mint in the seasoning and Pinto beans.

No matter the minor adjustments, this was delicious, filling, and healthy!

As a last minute side, I made baked tortilla chips:



After placing two large flour tortillas on a baking sheet, I used a pizza cuter to slice them into chip-size sections. Then I drizzled (too much) olive oil on them, spreading it around with my (clean!) fingers since my baster was in the dishwasher. I added some garlic salt and baked them at 400 degrees (I don't know how to do that symbol on this keyboard) for about 7 minutes on the middle rack, and an additional 2 minutes right under the broiler.

These may be the best (though not lowest calorie) homemade chips ever!!!

Next time: less olive oil, a little less seasoning, and flip the chips halfway through baking.

Altogether, this was one scrumptious dinner. The Hot Greek Salad came in at about 7 WW Points, and the overly-oil-drenched chips weighed in at 6 WW Points for about 8 chips.

Enjoy!


So tell me: What are you cooking? Any fun new recipes?

1 comment:

  1. Yum! That looks tasty! I've never tried making my own chips but seems easy enough. Sadly with our oven it is difficult to get it set to broil so I tend to avoid things that need broiling.

    ReplyDelete