Friday, April 27, 2012

Coconut Soup & Teriyaki Stir Fry

I love trying new recipes.


As you can see above, I spread out. Cooking needs room to breathe!

 

As I read in a blog, who knows which one at this point, tofu needs to be pressed before it is cooked. 


Fresh lemon gras. Mmmmm. Smells delicious!



Thanks, Babe. The 'workout-clothes look' really does make me look like I'm filming a Food Network episode. ;-)


I baked the broccoli (375 for 20 minutes) and added it to my stir fry after everything else was cooked. For whatever reason, the broccoli never seems to cook fully when thrown in the pan with the rest. This worked wonderfully!


Since I had two new, high-maintainence-ingredient dishes going, I did all the prep work before I started cooking anything. Usually, I prep and cook simultaneously.

Thai Coconut Coup

Ingredients


1-2 T - vegetable oil
2 - chicken breasts, thinly sliced
1 C - mushrooms, sliced
1 - bell pepper, diced
1 T - fresh lemon grass, finely diced
1 T - fresh ginger root, finely diced
1 T - chili pepper paste
1 t - lime zest
1 t - lime juice
1 t - curry powder
 1 C - coconut milk
3/4 C - lite coconut milk
2 C - fat free chicken broth 
1/4 C - fresh basil, chopped

* Brown chicken in the oil until partially cooked through. Set aside. (The strips will continue to cook when added back into the soup.)


* In the same pot, add the pepper and mushrooms. Use additional oil if necessary. Cook through, about 6 minutes.

* Add lemon grass, ginger, chili paste, lime zest, lime juice, and curry powder. Stir. Cook until aromatic, about 1 minute.

* Lower to medium heat. Add cocunut milk and chicken broth. Stir and bring to boil. Add chicken strips, then set to simmer until ready to serve. Add basil just before serving.


..........



Sesame Teriyaki Stir Fry

Ingredients:

1 T - sesame seeds
1 t - ground ginger
12-16 oz firm tofu, pressed
1 T - vegetable oil
2 shallots, thinly sliced
1-1 1/2 C - mushrooms, sliced
bell peppers, sliced
1 t - minced garlic
1 C - roasted broccoli
1/4 C - teriyaki sauce

* In a medium-sized bowl, add sesame seeds and ginger. Add tofu. Gently toss to coat.


* In a large pan, cook seasoned tofu in oil until browned on each side. Set aside.


* In same pan, add shallots and mushrooms. Use additional oil if needed. Cook on medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. After 3-4 minutes, add peppers. Cook through, about 4 minutes.


* Add garlic, sauce, and roasted broccoli. Heat through.

* Add tofu, heat through.



* Eat and enjoy!!!



Delicious dinner. And SO filling!


So tell me: what new recipe are you dying to try?

2 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe as I definitely want to try the soup and probably the stir fry too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy! A helpful tip for the broccoli is blanching it. Throw it in boiling water for about 30 seconds and then in cold or ice water. It wont lose any nutrients! I always cook my broc like this!

    ReplyDelete