Thursday, April 19, 2012

Quick & Easy Chili (Chile?)

I never know which spelling is correct. Today you get both.

Chili, as I mentioned recently, is one of my favorite go-to dinners. Opening up the pantry, I pull out the basics and anything else that sounds good at the time.


Lately my chili has included:
  • one 2 tsp olive oil
  • one diced onion, diced
  • one or two Tbsp minced garlic
  • one 30 oz can of chili beans
  • one 15 oz can of kidney beans
  • one 10 oz can of yellow corn
  • two 15 oz cans of diced tomatoes (one drained)
  • one 10 oz can of tomato sauce
  • one tsp cumin
  • one tsp basil (or oregano, sage, parsley, whatever I'm feelin')
  • one tsp salt (always easier to add more later when/if needed)

Instructions:

Saute the onion and garlic in the oil in a large pot on medium-high heat. I use my Dutch oven for this chili. Once the garlic is aromatic, add all canned ingredients. (I only drain one can of tomatoes, but you can drain more of them to get the desired chili texture/consistency.) Stir together. Add spices. Stir again, for good measure. Heat through on medium heat, stirring occasionaly. (All the good recipes say "stirring occasionally" somewhere.) Let the chili simmer, covered on low heat, stirring occasionally, until you have the desired thickness.




Ladle up and eat with favorite toppings! I love adding fat free sour cream and shredded mozzarella cheese. Sometimes I'll add some of my favorite hot sauce (Valentina), diced onions, or crushed chips for texture.

This chili is even better the next day, so be sure to save the leftovers!

Enjoy!




So tell me: What is your favorite go-to dinner?

1 comment: