Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Other Side


...of the tracks.





Well, the road, in my case.
Bedroom with faux bois wallpaper
Found here.


Even though I was planning on going to the gym last night, as I usually do, Kevin and I decided to take advantage of the sunshine by walking outside. I have to tell you, it was gorgeous. 


Rather than spending 20 minutes pounding out an elliptical workout, I spent an hour strolling hand-in-hand with my husband, walking all over the neighborhood across the road from our apartment complex.


We live in a fairly swanky suburb. Right by our apartment complex is a shopping center/downtown area - and a gorgeous lake. A bit further down the road, there is a maze of roads displaying very, very expensive homes. The lake, you see, is private. The most expensive homes have lakefront property, but all of the homes around there are upscale.


farmhouse
As we walked along, pointing out the unique house traits, discussing our dream home, noticing how close all the houses are to each other, I spent a great deal of time turning up my nose - at rich people. This grandiose lifestyle is something far from my reality. I did not grow up in want, but we didn't vacation by plane or shop at Nordstrom's either.


After a while of my rich-people-ranting, Kevin pointed this out and asked why I felt so much animosity towards big, fancy houses.


Well, why do I?
Inviting Retreat
Found here.


Because I did not grow up in a fancy house.


Because the kids I knew who did have a lot of money were often rude.


Because I was jealous of their vacations, new clothes, and expensive toys.


Because they are all arrogant people. Right?


Because I assume they look down on me.


Because they have more money than me.


The thing is, I could very easily come up with all kinds of blessings and advantages I have experienced in my life that more well-off people may not have. But that's not really the point, is it? Having money does not define a person as much as their demeanor and choices. 


Wouldn't it be terrible if I had a nice house like one of those lakefront ones someday? What if someone was jealous? What if I became like those rude rich people?


Probably not. In fact, in my dreamiest of dream homes, the kitchen is huge, every room is gorgeously decorated with a combination of antiques and modern pieces, the master bath has a jacuzzi tub, and my craft room is stocked for all eternity. 

In fact, I have an entire Pinterest board dedicated to my dream home. 


If God grants Kevin and me the ability to build our dream home together (from scratch or from pre-assembled pieces), I will only be grateful - and ready to use it as a sanctuary. That's what I want for our home no matter what it looks like on the outside. 


Perhaps our sun-filled walk was a good reminder of my prejudices, the ones I often justify, and encouragement to dream big. Because, the Lord knows (because I've told Him), I want a farm sink with a kitchen to match!






So tell me: What's in your dream home???

No comments:

Post a Comment