Wednesday, February 15, 2012

My Funny Valentine

(Friends moment: Janice singing "My Funny Valentine" to Chandler via a mixed tape - which consequently gets him in a LOT of trouble with Monica.)

Wonderful day spent in our jammies.

Though yesterday was technically Valentine's Day, Kevin and I decided to celebrate last Saturday instead. Following the example of a friend of mine, I suggested that we split the two big Dates for the year: Valentine's Day and Anniversary. As I already had MANY ideas, I snatched up V-Day and left Kevin with our anniversary (which also gives him until November to plan - though I'm pretty sure he is fretting about it already - love that man).

Using Pinterest as my brainstorming device, I pinned ideas for food, decorations, and activities.



For the final product, I ended up making paper garland, crocheted hearts, a Valentine's card, and tomato basil mozzarella salad - all from Pinterest. I also used random items from around the apartment to decorate and added a few menu dishes that I knew Kevin would love. One of those was pot roast. I had never made one before, so we tackled it together!




The entire day was so much fun. I made heart-shaped Belgium waffles for breakfast in bed, we played Rummy (which I won, by the way), we prepared the pot roast together before playing Monopoly (which I did not win, and was annoyed, haha), then we finished making dinner together before we sat down to dig in! While we let our dinner settle, we watched a couple episodes of Heroes (our current TV on DVD obsession) from season two, and then enjoyed a very messy chocolate fondue for dessert.



One of my favorite parts of the day was a Cranberry Spritzer that I put together: cranberry juice, sparkling cider (still trying to use up the left-over from the wedding), sugared rim, crocheted heart decor, and cranberry juice ice cubes shaped like hearts!



Celebrations like this are always difficult for me. The urge to binge is tangible. I can be thankful for baby steps: I served myself small portions, ate slowly, stopped when I felt full,  and I even left food on my plate. Add that to a two-pound loss for the week, and I can count this Valentine's Day a success! (Not to mention a very happy man!) :)

2 comments:

  1. That food looks amazing! And your decor is very cute!! Way to go on eating well during the festivities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristin, thanks! I didn't realize how delicious freshly made pot roast could be! :) Eating well during festive times is one of the very hardest things for me! Thank you so much for your continued support! :)

      Delete