Friday, February 24, 2012

The Stash

This is not The Stash.
The Stash I have mentioned so many times comes in several forms. One resides in my kitchen pantry, still hiding from my husband's bachelor days. One is in the teacher's lounge where I work. And one is at my in-law's house. It also travels; it can be found at any social gathering or special event.

My Mission: To get through a weekend at my in-laws and an Oscar's party without mindlessly eating or bingeing myself sick. (A.K.A. stay away from The Stash.)

That food addiction of mine often comes along with mindless eating and bingeing myself sick.

Mindless Eating: When I graze throughout the evening. Each time I pass through the kitchen, I grab just a little bit of something. I grab a candy from the dish on the coffee table every hour or so. At a party I grab something off the food table every few minutes. If the food never touches a plate, it doesn't count, right?

Bingeing Myself Sick: I have too many memories of being at some sort of gathering, eating plate after plate of little goodies (even good stuff like veggies and fruits) and end up feeling literally sick to my stomach by the end of the night. This is directly followed by a dash of difficult sleep, a pinch of self-loathing, and a sprinkling of additional eating to make myself feel better. You have heard of vicious cycles, right?

I know the tips. I've used the tricks. Nothing new. I JUST GOTTA DO IT!!! (Enter Nike ad here.)


So, here's the plan:

The in-laws:
  • Save up ALL of my weekly points so I have some wiggle room (Well, almost, the man and I had a mid-week date which used up a few of them. Well worth it! See below.)
  • track everything I eat
  • bring snacks from home (bars, baby carrots, apples)
  • eat at the table, not standing in the kitchen
  • drink water in between meals when I feel hungry
  • hang out in the living room as much as possible, i.e. not the kitchen
  • tell Kevin what I plan on eating before each meal (it helps to say it out loud, especially to someone who will support without policing)
  • REMEMBER WHAT I FEEL LIKE AFTER I HAVE WASTED POINTS AND MADE MYSELF SICK
Oscar's Party:
  • drink water when I first get there
  • focus on talking with people, rather than eating
  • eat a snack before I go in
  • save some points for the event
  • fill ONE plate of food after a while of being there, sit down with my plate, then slowly work my way through the goodies I have there
  • REMEMBER WHAT I FEEL LIKE AFTER I HAVE WASTED POINTS AND MADE MYSELF SICK

The Date Night Burger.

1 comment:

  1. Nicole, my dear. I am so glad to be able to read your blog and keep up with your daily life. It makes me feel so much more connected to you. I love picturing you and Kevin in that cozy apartment, living life together. I am so proud of you for choosing to live a healthy lifestyle, and I thank God that you now have such a supportive husband to walk alongside you through it. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete