Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Flexibility



Borrowed from: http://kellyraeroberts.blogspot.com/2010/09/handwritten-glimpses-another-bit-of.html
 I am a planner. No, I am not saying I am this planner, a metaphysical exercise in an attempt to be one with my schedule. What I am is a list maker. I have lists for everything. There are sticky notes dotting nearly every page of my hand-written planner. This I try to keep up to date with my electronic calendar (iCal, which awesomely syncs automatically with iCloud to my three OS devices - I'm obsessed with toys and organization). If something needs done, I have to write it down. More than once. I do not just remember things. There is also a calendar on the wall by our kitchen where I write down the big events (though, this is mostly for Kevin's sake). 

I am also a bit OCD. Too many times a friend of mine has taken great joy in flipping up the corner of my throw rug, spinning a figurine to face backwards, or turning a DVD jacket upside down. IT DRIVES ME CRAZY! My nieces used to think it was so funny to jump on my bed, once it was made, because they knew it would take everything in me not to force them to get off and then smooth out their terrible wrinkles.

When you put these two superpowers together (here I am using the term superpower loosely), you get: Inflexibility.

That's right. I said it. I am not very flexible. I can touch my toes, but I hate changing my plans. My mother is the same way. It was bound to trickle its way down to me. My dear husband does not suffer from this affliction. He is extremely organized about work and school, but everything else he prefers to leave to chance, happenstance. If it works out, great! If the random idea pops into his head, fantastic! If it sounds like the best thing at the moment, let's go for it!

This combo can cause some friction between these two love birds. He spends so much time focusing his energy into his work that he wants to let loose and not have to think about how the rest of our time is spent. And, to be honest, sometimes his way means we are both much more relaxed. The problem is, I have to plan to be this relaxed and fancy-free. It's my nature.

Example: A while back, I had a couple days off in a row, before the weekend. I knew these days were coming months in advance. Let me tell you, I had a plan for those two days long before they arrived. It mostly involved sitting on the couch reading magazines. Two days to sleep in, relax on the couch, read the articles I never have time to get to, and not worry about a thing. (Note: a plan to relax.) When these amazing two days rolled around, Kevin realized that he needed to run some errands in his home town. "Hey! You have these two days off! We could stay at my parents after we run my errands. We won't have time to do these together before the timeline on these permits runs out."

I could have thought: My husband wants to spend time together since we have to get these things done anyway.

What I did think: He wants to use up MY days off to run HIS errands. And he didn't tell me until the last minute!

This instantly put me on edge. Selfishly, I did not want these two days of possible relaxation to be used up by responsibility. As a single person, I would have spent them on my couch. Maybe I would have gotten a hankering for coffee and socializing and gone down to the local coffee shop. Maybe I would have tried to get together with a friend. It didn't matter, it was up to me. No one else decided how my day off was spent.

Not so in marriage. These are the instances that show me how easy it is to put my needs (read: wants) first and be annoyed at my husband when he voices his own needs, or simply his ideas. It is far easier when I am in control. When I make the plan. When I decide when and what we do. For the most part, Kevin is easy going. He rarely complains. He just goes with the flow. If it weren't for his stubborn streak, a Planner Control Freak like me could bowl him right over. Thank God for knowing what we need more than we do.

I am not very flexible. I want to make the plan and stick to it. I want to put the dishes away myself, because I have a system (and it still confuses him). I would rather work on my own than on a group project. I want to decide who we hang out with and when. If it's my idea, great! If not, I'll have to think about it.

This is a weakness of mine. But I am working on it. God is gracious. So is Kevin.

Sometimes when our plans change, it takes me a few minutes to adjust. Even though it would be great if I could just switch plans without another thought, that just isn't how I'm wired. So I think it through, rationalize the situation (as in, see reality and find the logic, rather than trying to figure out how my way is supreme), and give myself a few minutes for adjustment. Usually this is all it takes. I may be slightly edgy during those minutes, but then it passes. Far better than a car ride filled with tension and unsaid words.

Learning to join two lives into one is no easy task. When folks say that the first year of marriage is always difficult, I think this may be the main culprit. Two lives, two backgrounds, two families, two worlds shoved into one apartment. Mayhem is bound to emerge. But, oh, what sweet, adventurous Mayhem it is!

(Is anyone else thinking of the Allstate Mayhem commercials? No? Just me? The teenage-girl-talking-on-cell-phone is my favorite...Just sayin'.)


So tell me: What quirks or pet peeves hang you up? What do you do about it?

2 comments:

  1. I was and still am a planner for the most part. Back when I first got married I was HORRID. My husband was a very fly by the seat of his pants by the moment type of guy and it drove me nuts. Over the last 15+ years I think we are finally meeting in the middle. Though I think for me its just planning not to plan and doing my best not to overload myself with things I HAVE to do so I can fit in the things I WANT to do and still be flexible enough for the wrenches the husband will throw in my carefully laid plans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I haven't met you, but I stumbled across your blog a few weeks ago, and I think I've become addicted! I so enjoy reading about your take on life and what you're learning in this season - and I deeply admire your dedication in your desire to be healthy. Thanks for writing in candid, honest, fun ways!

    I read this post and I laughed out loud! I feel like I SO relate to your plan-conscious-personality! I, too, like to plan my days off to relax, and if those plans to nap on the couch get messed up, I am NOT a very happy camper! I have certainly experienced some challenges with that in my relationship with my stay-up-late, non-watch-wearing, often-oblivious-to-time boyfriend. It is not usually easy to face my own weaknesses and issues, but I am inspired to do so by your example and my boyfriend's dedicated commitment to TRYING to be more time-conscious.

    Again, thanks for being a blogger!

    ReplyDelete