Friday, February 17, 2012

Window Shopping

True story: Sometimes I avoid trying on clothes in the store because I know it could lead to an emotional breakdown. Of course, this always happens after I have been really on plan, working like crazy, and think that I am FOR SURE down a size. Then nothing looks good. NOTHING. If I'm lucky, I can get out of the dressing room without crying.

However. There are some days when everything I try on makes me feel cuter and slimmer. Rare but AMAZING days. The following pictures were taken on such days. (Somehow that sounded like the lead-in to a Law & Order episode...)


I still want a sweater like this.


A few years ago I started doing this thing where I would take pictures of clothes I was trying on in dressing rooms (on the good days). This is not an attempt to steal fashion ideas... from Goodwill. ;-) Actually, this has been a way for me to visualize what kind of outfits look best on me and have a visual representation of my progress. Once I started losing weight, and got under my lowest as an adult, I really didn't know what clothes I was looking for when I would go shopping. So I would try on several outfits and take a picture of each one. It is also fun to look back and watch my shape and available outfits change as I lost weight!



Another advanatge of this fun little habit is being able to see what something looks like in a picture before I buy it. Or I can remember a style from The Gap and try to find something similar at Target or Goodwill.






For those of you who do not shop at Goodwill, I can understand. BUT if you are willing to take the time to sort through ALL the clothes, you can often find great deals. Many times I have come away with clothing items originally from The Loft, The Gap, or Old Navy - still with the original tags!

[Side note: I hate shopping in the "Big Girls" section. And trust me, that is exactly what I did for the first twenty-two years of my life (give or take a few years in the baby isle). Every time I would get to the Maternity/Plus Size divide in Target, I would look around hoping no one saw me. It was even embarrassing to show the attendant my items before I went to try them on. The colored tabs so vividly gave me away. I clearly remember the first time I was able to try on clothes from the "regular" section. Elated doesn't even begin to cover it. There is no shame in trying on the clothes that fit you - but I felt shame knowing I had let myself get to a place I so badly did not want to be. Even now, I have a hard time finding something that fits my short/curvy stature at consignment or boutique shops. My feet even betray me with their boat-like shape. Shoes do not usually look "super cute" in wide. Frustrating.]

 

The cardigan I have; the top I want!
The last time I needed new clothes was when I started my new job, as an assistant in the ESL department at a middle school. My wardrobe wasn't very teacher-y, and I was down a few sizes anyway. So I took  my $200 and went to Goodwill to see what I could find. About $80 later, I had 4 button-up tops, 2 sweaters, 2 pairs of slacks, 1 pair of jeans, and 1 pair of incentive pants. (Once I have gotten to a new lowest pant size, I buy a pair of pants in the next size down to motivate me to keep going.) The great thing about Goodwill is that it allows me to have a decent wardrobe without the cost. It would be too expensive to buy a whole new wardrobe every time I go down a size; so I try to buy "in between" clothes that are inexpensive, can look nice for a couple sizes, and that I can return to Goodwill when I have shrunk out of them without feeling a huge loss.


I love the color and detail of this top.
With my left over budget I got a few sale items from The Gap, one of my favorite stores, and had enough at the end to get my slacks altered to fit me perfectly. Now that I have had some clothing altered, I hope to continue this with my wardrobe. Putting on a smaller pair of pants feels great, knowing that it will fit you perfectly feels even better!



So tell me: Do you have any habits like this that help you reach your goals?

4 comments:

  1. Nicole, I just love this post! I haven't started reading blogs much...but I'd like to be and I've just started following yours. I think it's so great what you've done to make shopping fun and creative (i love the photo idea...totally taking that!). I lost 30 pounds this last year (I had gained a lot of weight from working full time at a camp), and those incentives are SOOOO important. I still have about 10 pounds left on my goal...and these incentives you give are great ideas! It helps encourage me to keep going! Great job, Nicole. I'm excited to follow this blog of yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trisha, thank you! It means a lot that you would stop by and take a look! :)

      That is so wonderful that you are so close to your goal! Congrats!

      Thanks for the support and good luck on your last 10! :)

      Delete
  2. I totally understand the issue with clothes. For my birthday this year my mom and I went shopping, (yes the hated shopping word). Now, even buying non clothes items I am really not a shopper much to my mom's and sister's dismay, especially when my sister and I were growing up. So this year I was very anxious about looking for clothes, yes I needed them, but I am like you in that a majority of every time I have ever gone shopping I come out of it feeling horrible about my body. This year for the first time in probably 13 years I at least started looking for clothes in the "normal people" portion of the store. Surprisingly, there really were some clothes there that finally fit and looked really nice. I am still on the big side of normal, but at least I can finally see progress and get cute clothes. It really is an amazing feeling to finally be out of plus sizes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, yes, getting out of plus sizes feels so good! I never thought I would make it! :) Good job!

      Delete