Monday, February 13, 2012

Weekly Update, and Rewards

Weekly Update:

Exercise: Two trips to the gym (jogging/walking), three walks (between 20-30 minutes each)

Weight Loss: 2 lbs.!! That puts me at 179. Woohoo!!!

I have to say, I was pretty darn excited when I got on the scale this morning! Even with Kevin and I celebrating our V-day on Saturday (which meant a few more calories on the weekend than usual), I was able to lose two whole pounds this last week. That's the first time in a long time. Jogging an extra five minutes at the gym probably helped some, and I saved all of my extra weekly points for Saturday in preparation of our Valentine's celebration.

Yes, this is exciting me this morning. However, just yesterday I was in tears because of a coat. Actually, it was three coats. Kevin and I decided to walk to Starbucks for our Sunday morning coffee so that I could get in another walk; due to the continually chilly weather, I decided to try on one of my cute coats - not just wear the black one I wear everyday. (It's not horrible, but it was a Wal-Mart deal, and not great quality. Functional, not cute.) None of my coats fit. I already knew that, but I got my hopes up, thinking just maybe one of them would look okay on. I think I bought all of them when I was at a lower weight than I am now, but I wanted to try anyway.

All of a sudden those voices in my head started telling me that I am ugly, stupid, never going to lose the weight, I should just give up now, I will always be fat... I stood there by the front door fighting back tears while Kevin calmly cautioned me not to give in to those voices. He knew they were there, even though I didn't say anything. (I should add, I am not coo-coo, the voices are metaphorical here... Just in case anyone was worried about my sanity...) I was feeling bummed on our walk, but glad to have someone there to tell me the truth I needed to hear.

You see, I do celebrate over every pound (ounce, really) I lose, every additional minute I can jog on the treadmill, every teacher lounge cinnamon roll (SO MANY) I decline, but I also want it all to happen so much faster. Why can't I be at my goal weight now? Why does it take so long? Why do I have to work so hard? I know the answers to all of this - I'm in expert by now, right? And yet I still get discouraged at times. So here's to continuing on in the face of trials and impatience!

I must say, it helps to keep in mind what I have waiting for me if I keep on keeping on...

Rewards. I love making goals, and reaching them even more. But sometimes the incentive of a "pat on the back" just doesn't overcome The Stash's call. So what I usually do is set sub-goals and decide on rewards ahead of time. For instance, when I get to 160 pounds, I get a new pair of running shoes. My wonderful husband helped me decide on a non-food (so important in this food addiction battle) reward for each milestone:

Starting weight in January: 185

170: New Disney movie (I eventually want them all on DVD)

160: New running shoes (the two pair I have are SO worn out)

150: Hiking through Silver Falls (so beautiful, haven't been for years, and I want Kevin to see them!)

140: Movie and frozen yogurt date with the hubs (the fro-yo is food, but it is a healthier option than what I would usually consider a food reward - and it can be expensive, which is why we don't get it often - it's more about the experience than the fro-yo.)

Goal weight 135: Shopping spree for a new wardrobe! (Let me tell you - most of my wardrobe for the last two years has come from Goodwill. I did NOT want to spend tons of money on "in between" clothes, but more on that another time.)


The milestone I'm currently looking forward to most (other than the new wardrobe, of course) is a pair of new running shoes. And ever since I saw the little do-hickey at the Apple store (remember the Apple obsession?), I really want the Nike+ shoes so I can get the Apple thing to stick in the shoe and track my distance/calories/etc. How cool is that? Even if it isn't exactly practical, that's what makes it a great reward! I love toys. This is definitely my kind of toy.

From http://www.apple.com/ipod/nike/


So tell me: What non-food (or healthy food) rewards would you use for goal incentives (and not just for weight loss, for anything!)?

5 comments:

  1. don't get the shoe doodad! they have a Nike+ gps app that's less spendy that works just as well! (lots of runners say that neither of them are super accurate, but those are the folks who spend hundreds on gps watches) then you can buy your shoes based on your running style rather than being able to put the doodad in it (if you do get the doodad, i have a holder for it that goes on your shoelaces you could have. if you end up buying shoes without a spot for it)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah - sad! I was looking forward to the doodad! :) But now I'll know better. It is pretty expensive for such a small thing. :) I am looking forward to new shoes, though! :)

      Delete
    2. Use the money that would have gone into the doodad to up the amount you can spend on shoes :)

      Delete
  2. Rewards I have used in the past are:
    New clothes
    book for my Nook
    Blu ray movie

    Though every now and then I give myself a food reward. Just so hard to not want to eat something semi healthy but not something you would usually eat as part of a reduced calorie diet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabric is generally my reward. Or a day to my friking self. Or a really nice hike or day trip. :)

    ReplyDelete