Monday, March 5, 2012

Weekly Update, and Balance

Weekly Update:

Exercise: 4 25-min lunch walks, 2 30-min elliptical "pumps"

Weight Loss: 178

Well, at least I am back to where I was two weeks ago. Half-way through the week I was under 178 (I weigh far too often), but of course weight fluctuates - especially during this particular week of the month.

I'm a bit disappointed that I didn't lose any more than this, but I have to remember that this is a process. This is about long term weight loss, not a quick fix. And I was sick the last three days, which never helps anything.

Because of my obsession with the scale, I saw this result coming, which prompted a problem-solving/processing conversation with Kevin last night before bed. This is what I decided to kick my weight loss up a notch:
  • lower my weekly extra points from 49 to 35
  • only eat 2 servings of fruit a day, and 3 of vegetables (they may be "free", but the calories do add up)
  • bump my 30 min elliptical runs to 40 minutes
Three small changes that will hopefully get me out of my current rut. I'm not looking for a huge loss each week, but I'm in a bit of a plateau and would like to beat it before it beats me.

The last couple of weeks have left me feeling "blah". Sick husband, sick me, weight up and down, wanting to see results far more quickly... Then I have to think about why I'm doing this, remember that I believe in my method- and give myself credit for not bingeing or mindlessly eating or going over my points. Those are all accomplishments. At least I know I could maintain my weight with this routine; now to get the weight off...

Losing weight has become a big part of my life. It can be overwhelming at times. And I have other roles I need to play other than hamster on the wheel. That's where balance comes in... or does it?


Balance.

There's a little chuckle inside my head when I think about writing a post titled "Balance". Beth Woolsey shared my very similar sentiments with her witty post of the same ilk. (While we're on the topic, Beth's blog entitled "Five Kids is A Lot of Kids" is hilarious. Even though I don't have kids, I can't stop reading - or laughing hysterically. Go check it out!)

From:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sebastians_belle/7379676/
Right now I wear a lot of hats. Wife. Daughter. Sister. Aunt. Friend. Christian. Teacher. Weight-loser. To name a few and the most recurrent. (I would add that I'm not a huge fan of the title "Christian". But that's for another time.)

Which do I wear when? How often? What happens when that one hat in the corner has collected so much dust that I'm afraid to put it on for fear of coughing to death? Where's the For Dummies manual for how to balance one's life?

I have recently discovered the elliptical. Once my knees started hurting from treadmill jogging (soft 'j'), I decided to give this awkward stair-stepper-slash-paddle-boat thing a try. To my delight, it was surprisingly doable, burned more calories than the treadmill in the same amount of time, and didn't cause any undue pain!

One thing I've noticed, however, is that I have to pay close attention to how I am balancing my weight while I pump along. (I've decided that a good colloquial term in place of "stroll" for walking or "jog" for running is "pump" for ellipticalling.) If I'm not careful, a knee will lock or I'll start teetering to one side. Rather than use the hand rails or arm pumpers, I hold my arms in at my side and let them swing like they do when I'm running. This forces me to use my (barely-existent) core muscles to keep balanced. 

The first five minutes raise my heart rate, signaling the sweat to begin. The following five minutes is a push to get through. Each stride lands somewhere in my thigh or quad. I can feel it. The Sweet Spot resides in minutes ten through twenty; I'm listening to my music, allowing Adele to fuel energy into the rhythmic pumping. The last ten minutes I am very focused on the seconds as they tick by. When I'm struggling to keep up the pace, I pick a point in the distance, focus in, and power through. Sometimes I play little games with myself. Can I get my strides per minute up to 200? How long can I keep up this pace? How many calories can I burn before my 30 minutes are up? It's a race against myself. The end is in sight and I'm going to make each moment count.

Life may not be exactly like a run (pump?) on the elliptical, or a box of chocolates, but I see some correlations to balance. My core keeps me centered. My highest priorities, that which drives me, creates a fulcrum from which the pendulum can swing. As I alternate between hats, the transition can raise my heart rate; it takes a while to find my stride, my Sweet Spot. As I near change, an ending, a beginning, I often find ways of distracting myself from the difficulty I have with change, I focus on the end game. I try my very best to make each moment count and keep my priorities straight.

And sometimes I'm switching hats so quickly, or have two or three perched precariously on my head at once, that all I can do is pray that my center is strong enough to keep a limb from going astray or launching a hat into an unsuspecting passerby.

While I'm certainly no expert, I have learned a thing or two about balance over the years. Filling my plate to the point of near exhaustion was a specialty of mine many moons ago. (I'm digging the mash of mixed metaphors. Don't judge.)
  • I can say "no"
  • I'm not a bad Christian if I don't have a Christ-centered activity going on every night (I discovered this little nugget while attending a private Christian college; and, no, I'm not being trite - this lesson was very difficult for me to learn.)
  • Having one or two main hats that are fully intact is better than having dozens of shabby ones
  • I need social time and alone time; each regenerates me in a unique way
  • Taking care of myself (mind, body, spirit) is not selfish
  • Sometimes I just have to roll with it (Planner Hat is twitching...)
When life is rosy and full of sunshine, I am elated with my Hats and look forward to wearing each one. And then there are gloomy days when I want to put them all in the closet and take a nap. Like I said, no expert. But just like my jaunts on the elliptical, I keep on truckin'. I'm not after perfection, but a general sense of peace (and a little less jiggle in my caboose) would be nice.


So tell me: How do you find balance? What hats are you juggling?

No comments:

Post a Comment