Monday, March 12, 2012

Weekly Update, and Fat = Lazy

Weekly Update:

Exercise: four 25-minute walks around the school track (which is just about 5.25 miles total); one 20-minute elliptical 'pump'

Weight loss: Today I'm at 176! Woohoo! 9 pounds down in 10 weeks!

Pretty good for spending the weekend at my parent's! (Where The Stash apparently migrated during the work week. I'd wondered where it'd gone.)

Well, my average is still pretty close to losing one pound per week. While I would love to say that I am down 20 pounds in 10 weeks, at least I can say that I have stayed on program that whole time, met my exercise goals each week, my clothes already fit much better, and have been able to have fun extras when I've planned for it!

This, however, is not to say that I don't have moments when I want to give up because it seems so slow. Forcing myself into workout clothes and out the door to the gym has been torturous the last couple of weeks. And I've been SO MUNCHY!!! All of a sudden I will want every comfort food within reach. (No, I'm not preggo - just emotional. So, just normal.)

No matter how long it takes me to reach the best weight for my body, it will be worth it in the long run. My changes are going to last. This is about a lifestyle, not a short-term diet. When I do reach that goal, it will be a moment to celebrate! I'm so excited for that!

The truth is, this is really hard! Anyone who has tried to lose weight, or reach any long-term goal, knows all about this. It is never easy to start new habits while phasing out old ones. Though there are some people that seem to think that this, specifically weight loss, is easy. To hear more on my opinion on that, keep reading!


Oh, I told you this was coming. Be warned: I am about to vent. Steam is a'coming, try not to get burned.


"Fat people are just lazy. If they would just eat the right food and exercise, they wouldn't have that problem."

"Ew. That girl is so gross. She needs to lose some weight."

"Working out and eating right is so easy."


Ooooo, girl, you done just pissed off this mama bear. I'magunna wring your skinny little neck. Short but feisty!


"Oh my word. I am so fat!" (Said by a size-0 woman eating a cupcake.)

"Did you see that girl's stomach? How does someone let themselves get like that?"

"That guy must weigh a ton. Video games, much?"


Hold me back! Hold me back! Them's fightin' words!


There seems to be this idea that anyone who is overweight must be lazy. MYTH. There are many factors to obesity, most of which have to do with our environment and genetics. TRUTH.

Yes, it is also true that our nation has a health crisis on its hands. Across the country the statistics are alarming. "About one-third of U.S. adults (33.8%) are obese. Approximately 17% (or 12.5 million) of children and adolescents aged 2—19 years are obese." Find out more here.

I'm not saying we should all let Wall-e come true and buy our hovering recliners now, I am saying that this lie that all fat people are lazy needs to be nipped in the bud.

My stats:
  • being overweight is in the family
  • did kids sports through age 13
  • currently work out 3-5 days a week
  • eat very healthily and in moderation
  • still obese on the BMI scale
Am I lazy? I also work a full-time job and am doing my best to run a home with my new husband. Yet some Jane Doe walking down the street behind me could think I am fat, and therefor lazy. This isn't some attempt to toot my own horn. I just know how hard it is!

Do you know what it's like to look in the mirror, to see your weight as insurmountable (not to mention the bane of your existence), and decide to cry and eat some ice cream to soothe yourself?

Do you know what it's like to be made fun of because of your weight? How about something else?

Do you know what it's like to have your greatest weaknesses and insecurities on display for everyone to see?

Do you know what it's like to inch by inch shed patterns and habits of an unhealthy lifestyle and try to develop new ones to promote health?


This world is so full of pain. Everywhere you look, someone somewhere is hurting. We are a broken people in a broken world. So let's do something positive! Perhaps the person you see as lazy or disgusting has some bad habits and doesn't work as hard at them as you think they should, but do you know their story? Do you know how they got to be where they are? It is much more difficult to judge someone when you know their humanity. Take some time to find out.

"When we put bits into the mouths of horses to make them obey us, we can turn the whole animal. Or take ships as an example. Although they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are steered by a very small rudder wherever the pilot wants to go. Likewise, the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole body, sets the whole course of one’s life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell. All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and sea creatures are being tamed and have been tamed by mankind, but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison." (James 3:3-8) (emphasis mine)

"Whoever derides their neighbor has no sense, but the one who has understanding holds their tongue." (Proverbs 11:12)

"The soothing tongue is a tree of life, but a perverse tongue crushes the spirit." (Proverbs 15:4)

I am no saint. I, too, am guilty of judging those around me. This message is for me as much as for anyone else. I'm not preaching, I'm pleading.

Before you spit poison in the direction of some broken and flawed person, think about your own flaws. Maybe your greatest weakness or insecurity is not as visible as obesity, or acne, or second-hand clothes.

Maybe you can hide your hurts and areas of pain from the world. Maybe you are addicted to working out, or are in an unhealthy relationship. Perhaps you abuse alcohol or prescription drugs. Everyone suffers from some hurt, habit, or hang-up. Think about that before you judge someone who cannot hide theirs from you.



I may not be this girl anymore, but I love her nonetheless. I may have a different body than this girl, but I think she is beautiful and vibrant. And I know her hurts. I still carry them. I know what it felt like every time someone stared, sneered, or shied away. She explored the world, graduated with honors, sang her heart out in front of hundreds of people, and took on the world with vigor. I learned a lot from her. She and I both know that being overweight had nothing to do with being lazy. We also know how deeply words can cut. Choose your words carefully, for both our sakes.

1 comment: