Monday, March 19, 2012

Weekly Update, and Defining Femininity


Weekly Update:

Exercises: Four days of lunch walking (25 min. each); One elliptical "pump" for 40 minutes

Weight Loss: 179. That's up. 2.6 pounds up, to be exact.

I could scream.

I mean, really. Out loud. Into my classroom. Terrifying my poor students.

Not only did I stay within my lessened-from-last-week points this entire week, but I took measures to ramp up my weight loss. Less fruit. Less points. More water. Longer exercise. And- I went up. This is where I was three weeks ago. Which is where I was five weeks ago. Commence: screaming.

My husband reassures me that though the scale may not reflect my work, that I am looking more toned. And it is true that my clothes are fitting better -though that was true last week as well. Over the last (almost) three months, I can see an increase in energy, fewer mood swings (Kevin, you don't get to weigh in on that), and better fitting pants. That's something, right?

It's enough to want to give up. The three times that we ended up eating out this week, I ate salads. Even with all my home cooked meals and new recipes, I measured, portioned and tracked everything. E. Very. Thing.

Are there sneaky spy calories making their way into my system as I sleep?

Well, speaking of sleep, the hubs and I both know that we don't get enough. I know that lack of sleep can slow down weight loss. And we've been more stressed lately - crazy schedules, finishing law school (for him), dealing with stress at work (for me). We know now that we are moving in June. We are already looking for jobs (that we don't have yet). Our school debt looms over our heads, and will for many years to come. We each are fighting off getting sick - which is hard to do when one of us works with walking petri dishes.

It all adds up.

So, despite my dejected spirit, I will recognize that I am putting as much energy into this as I know how. I'm making the healthy decisions. I still have 11 whole weeks of consistency under my belt (though, I wish it was taking up less room under that belt).

This week I will go to the gym twice and walk during four lunches. I'll keep my daily and extra weekly points the same, even though I could technically raise them since my weight raised. And that's it. No drastic measures. I will choose to trust the process and believe that my body will let go of the pounds when it is good and ready, trying to force greater change will only add stress, which will not aid in this weight loss/health gain process.

There are other things that also require energy from me. Ideas and thoughts that keep my brain occupied. Tasks and lists that demand doing. And preparing for our belated honeymoon trip beginning on Friday.

Speaking of thoughts that occupy the mind,

I'm struggling with the ideas and preachings of (extreme) "Feminism".


Here's the thing: I do believe women can do anything, and should have the opportunities to do so. I also believe that each of us, as humans, men and women, are unique and have different giftings and dreams. So why is it that I feel as though I am now looked down on (or somehow pitied, or assumed to be under the thumb of a man, or The Man) because I dream of being a housewife and stay-at-home mom?

This wasn't always my dream. Many women in my life have preached (by word or action) from a pedestal of individuality and self-sufficiency - to the point of never needing a man. I had it in my mind that if my husband ever wanted me to stay home that he was disrespecting me and holding me back. Ya know, that whole "Woman, make me a sandwich while being barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen!" thing. In fact, I thought he wasn't supposed to have an opinion at all. (Though it was my opinion that he should want to work and provide an income. Never really thought that one through.) What I have discovered is that I actually want these things. Not to be stifled or held back, but to have my home, family, and community as my 'work'.

Throughout the season of dating my now husband, I discovered these desires within me. All of a sudden I was far more interested in decorating, baking, cleaning, organizing - taking care of a man and a home - and somehow this also became taking care of me. As a newly married woman, this is the work I value most. At the end of the day I wish I just had more time to do laundry and dishes so that our evenings could always be spent relaxing instead of working. What often ends up happening is that we do relax and ignore the stuff we can't get done during the day. And fun projects for me? Ya know, all those Pinterest boards I have filled up in hopes of being creative once in a while? Forget about it! (I'd like to think that I said that in a New York accent.)

Maybe you have very different ideals. If you have different dreams, contrasting desires- that's fine with me! In fact, that's fantastic! To each his or her own. How much better do we learn from each other when we share our differences rather than shake them in each other's faces, hoping that 'other' will bend (or break) to our way of thinking?

In looking back on history, and the proverbial "50's Housewife", I can see how the Feminist Movement came about. (However, I think the expectations of men were just as restrictive. Each gender had their role to play and an individual was looked down on if they strayed but a little.) It is my opinion, however, that the pendulum may have swung too far in the opposite direction.

Work, in the traditional sense, has never been my thing. I've known forever that I would love most getting paid to go on coffee dates with people. When I was a single person looking ahead with no marriage in sight, I chose the path of teaching. If I had to work to pay my bills, I might as well give myself the best shot at enjoying the good 'ol nine-to-five. (Though in education, it's more like 7:30 to whenever the job's done... Don't get me ranting on the flaws in and pressures on our education system. It gets me all riled up! Go, teachers, go!) The truth is, it has never been my deepest desire to have a classroom for thirty years.

My deep heart longings were always pieced together with images of marriage, children, a beautiful home, and an espresso machine complete with plumbing and a portafilter (not an automatic!) - not to mention a community of people who always knew which house to go to if they needed anything (my house, in case that wasn't clear). When these seemed out of reach, it came time to put on my big girl panties (funny how this was true in more ways than one at the time) and choose a field that would allow me to actually move out of my parent's home someday. (For a while there, I wasn't sure that was going to happen...)

Those deep dreams of mine started to surface when I met my Kevin; I had shoved them into an old box labeled Save For Later. As we dated and moved toward marriage, their voices grew louder and clearer from inside their cardboard walls. Now that they walk around the apartment outside of their previous cage, I do my best to meet their demands in the few hours not devoted to bill-paying.


Now, in case your feathers are ruffled to the point of disarray, keep in mind that these are my opinions, my dreams. This is not my prescription for a happy life - for anyone other than myself. That's why I struggle with Feminism; the statements I hear or read don't say, "Hey, this is what I think is best," they say, "Your way is wrong." And I don't always agree.

One of my very best friends would probably acknowledge Feminist tendencies, but I wouldn't title her a Feminist. She has her beliefs, I have mine. Many we share, many we don't. We have spent a decade learning to discuss these without taking it personally, respecting and supporting one another. I appreciate that she acts on her beliefs, encourages me to save the world one recycled bottle at a time, and never tears down my chosen lifestyle.

I bake. I cook. I clean. I crochet. I craft. And I love it. I love tending my husband. He loves tending me.

I even make him sandwiches. And he makes me coffee.  

Does this mean I am being stifled or held back? No, this frees me to live into the giftings and desires that God weaved into my intricate design.

I also love make-up and hair products. I love shopping. I love walking around the mall with a Starbucks beverage in hand. I am very girly. Do domesticity and femininity undermine my rights as a woman?

Another huge dream of mine is to be in a musical again. It's been nearly four years! I may love singing with my whole being as a character on stage as much as taking care of my home. My heart lights on fire when I step out on stage - I feel connected to my Creator just as much in these moments as when I look around at our homey apartment knowing it is safe and welcoming. I have many dreams. For now, I trust that each has its season.


If a self-titled Feminist is reading this, please do not take offense. I respect and support your choices - they are yours to make! But if my choice is to use my freedom to take care of a home and family, please do not try to convince me that I'm just being pressured into a man-made mold. This is my choice. Now let's have a treat. A girlfriend of mine has perfected the Chocolate Chip Crack... I'm sorry... I meant Cookie.


So tell me: What do you dream of? What would you love to spend your time doing if bills were never an issue? And while we're at it, what recipes have you perfected and decided to bring to me, an avid Taste Tester???

6 comments:

  1. I loved reading this :)Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I felt like you ripped them right out of my private journals at times ;)

    However, I have always had the dream of being at home with my children/ husband- I longed SO deeply for that. I felt silly in school when people asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, but it was the truth. I ended up studying Early Childhood Ed. in College- It really did interest me, but when I met my husband, I was ready to drop it in second.
    I also had a best friend who is very much a self titled Feminist. I welcomed her opinions, and liked hearing her thoughts, but eventually during her travels and mind opening experiencing, decided that I was throwing my life away to be a house wife/ mom, and started treating me like I had no clue about the world... It really sucked.

    Keep up the good work and discipline on the weight loss. I had a hard time getting the baby weight off after my first. I am now pregnant with twins ( a whole other story) and am a little nervous about how THAT is going to go- getting my body back...

    Anyway, hope you are able to have a stress free week. Tell Kevin I say "hi"

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing! Keep up the good work - you will succeed! (Read Oh the Places You'll Go - Seuss. Makes me teary regularly.)

    I struggle regularly with my faith in myself as a woman who wants to make amazing change in the world vs knowing that I feel like it's the most important thing I could do right now to be home with my kids. Granted we can't afford for me to not be making some money, which is tough. We did seem to screw ourselves a bit with the feminist movement. Now most people depend on 2 income homes and there is still a general expectation for women to run the house and raise the children on top of that (not that all men have that expectation, it just seems to still be a general society thing). I say screw the labels, follow what will make your heart and relationship happy and fulfilled. I plan to pursue my world changing career as soon as the kiddos are all in school :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nichole, I love this, and am relating with it more than you know! Are you on Weight Watchers? I'm guessing by your 'points' reference. Anyway, my husband and I are both on weight watchers now as well. We are in week 6 or 7. It's crazy - I'm right about where you are, pounds wise!! I also gained last week and am really hoping this week is better. It's fun to have someone in the same stage as me.

    I also love your point of view on femanism. My desires for my house, husband, and family are the same as you. I've always wanted to be a stay-at-home mom and homemaker. It's a blessing to be living that out. :) Thanks for your honest post, I really appreciated it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wanted so much to be a mom and homemaker. But I had never had even had a boyfriend. But then it happened. All in one weekend. I really did not want a career. But I had to support myself somehow. Next thing, I was married. And I loved being a homemaker and mom. But God also allowed me to be teacher, trainer, decorator, speaker, music director, singer, writer, and leader and director of many things. Wow. What a ride I have had with more to come. To me, that is the altimate feminist. And just the way God designed me. I feel meek,humble, and gloriously powerful. That can only be from God.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you :) And I love having this conversation with you. You are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on this (actually, I don't think you've written a blog post I HAVEN'T enjoyed!). I've been having some thoughts along the same line, albeit perhaps from a slightly different angle. I grew up expecting I would be a stay-at-home wife and mom (and homeschool my kids because, of course, that's what my mom did and what I thought every good Christian woman did), but in high school I travelled for the first time and saw missionaries in action, and I realized I had another, bigger, deeper dream than being a wife and mom - I dreamt of traveling, touching lives with the love of Jesus in places that had rarely or never heard or Jesus, and with people who had no experience with unconditional, divine love. I was sure that being a wife and mom would never be enough for me after that experience.

    I pursued English, intending to utilize education as an avenue for travel and reasons to be in hard-to-get-into countries, and I was more than willing to make the sacrifice of never marrying, because I truly thought that's what Jesus had led me too... But then He distinctly led me to stay here, in the US for a season after college (which is still going on), and I began to wrestle with conflicting desires... See, I assumed that if I went on the mission field, I would do it as a "singler" because the places I wanted to go were not places that I would've ever wanted to ask someone to go to with me, and I didn't think I'd want to put my kids into potentially dangerous environments. But I assumed that if I stayed in the US (which I didn't and still don't really want to do!), I'd best get married and settle down to raise kids.

    In the season of staying local, I started to teach at a community college, and I fell in love with it. Now I can't imagine a better job. I love the creativity, the mental stimulation, the rapid change of each quarter - and I've concluded that I'm not someone that will ever be able to see myself as being in a single position for too long.

    I still believe there is overseas work in my future. I also know God is big enough to have put a similar life-desire into the heart of the man I love. I also know that teaching at the CC, for this season, is exactly where I'm supposed to be, but that all of life tends to be seasonal, and that someday this season will come to an end. I will probably mourn it, but I also trust that God knows what He's doing and what's best for me.

    I would say that I am a strong feminist in my own definition of feminism - which is that each woman should and does have the responsibility to discover what gifts and talents and desires God has uniquely gifted her with, and how best to develop and utilize those talents for the glory of God, the good of the people she lives in community with, and the sacred honor she carries as an image bearer of a beautiful God.

    I think I'd label you a "feminist" if we're going with my personal definition - and I mean that as the highest compliment!

    ReplyDelete